To start the creation process of my Creative Review magazine I made a new document in Adobe InDesign setting the page size to 249mm x 249mm (pictured) the size used with the Creative Review series. I then proceeded to Adobe Illustrator where I will create my illustration that’s required from the brief for the front cover.
I started to begin by looking at other cogwheels on google images as there’s so many variations and then proceeded to take inspiration from their patterns. To make these cogs I started by adding in a basic circle and then proceeded to make the teeth that goes around it this is done by making a trapezium using the pen tool to act as one ‘tooth’. This ‘tooth’ is needed to be duplicated around the basic circle this is done by using the ‘rotate tool’ and ALT clicking the point of center wanted which should have created a window pop-up (pictured) this allows you to type in how many teeth you want with the shape so I wanted to do 8 ‘teeth’ so this meant I needed to type in 360/8 (equals 45%) to give an even coverage around the circle to give it that realistic cog effect.
Then I needed to do the inside patterns this was done with a similar method I made the shape that was needed to eliminate the area meaning I made it white so it matches the background. This allows me to use the ‘rotate tool’ and the ALT click method again this should make the center of the cogwheel look hollow. As you can see I did this with many different shapes (pictured) to create lots of variations. I made many cogs I then placed them to look like they’re all connected and functioning as one.
I then went onto the Adobe InDesign front cover page and added in the contents box that show the issue, cost, publishing date and logo (pictured) and also the spine colour that wraps around to the front cover this is done in all the modern Creative Review magazines so I wanted to copy the layout as fine as possible to give it that realistic look. I then imported the illustration created on Adobe Illustrator and positioned it to fit with the spine and contents box.
To do the double-page spread I did this all from Adobe InDesign I started by creating the black lines (pictured) that I’ve noticed with all creative review double-page spreads have so I did the same. This was simple to add I just used the line tool and made sure they are straight and positioned symmetrically.
I then added in the images by simply drag and dropping from the documents folder (pictured) I wanted them to overlap slightly from right to left of the pages so I wanted to pick four images that show off steampunk in all different contexts so what I did is chose one that shows cosplay, styled locations and art. As you may notice the area for the images is slanted as I didn’t want the usual rectangle this meant that there was negative space below that could not be filled with the article text so I put a fourth image in that was shaped to fill the blank space to make a rectangle in a unique way.
The next step was to add in the cogwheels from the front cover but with a few changes what I did was add a clipping mask to the two cogs (pictured) that I had chosen to give them colour than the usual black as this wasn’t the colour theme with the double-page unlike the front cover. To do this I needed an image so I went with one that showed of the colour of old machinery and then selected both the image and the cogwheel and selected the effect called clipping mask this fills the shape with the image. This was then positioned where I wanted the page numbers to be I made sure the center of the cogwheel were not filled in so the page number can fit snug and still be readable. The second cogwheel was duplicated then flipped so the page number of the other page can have the same design.
I then proceeded to add with the title steampunk which I searched online for the perfect font that I will think works well. I once again used dafont.com and found the font called ‘steamwreck’ which I then needed to install onto the Font Book app (pictured). I believe that this font conveys steampunk really well with its unique style. I placed the title in the top left like most magazines do as It’s the page you read first and I also needed space for the article. This also had a clipping mask using the same image as the cogwheels shown above.
I needed to add in the article this was created before the editing week began I wrote this up when doing the research into steampunk as I knew that this would take a while. So It was a simple copy and paste done then I needed to format the text to fit with the double-page this is where InDesign does best. I started by making sure all the text fills the columns then I noticed the second column has the overlapping images I added so I needed to make the text not make contact with the images. To do this I did the same method used in the cityscape activity we did I added in two lines to created a backwards L (pictured) shape which wraps around the image then I gave these two lines the property called ‘wrap around bounding box’ which means text will not overlap the lines giving a nice controlled effect with the text that fills the white space around the outside of the image with no contact.
Finally, I added in some final touches such as a drop cap (pictured) which makes the first letter of the article big and bold but also can be embedded with the paragraph which is what I did as it looks professional. I actually gave this drop cap a clipping mask just like the title and cogwheels but this image with a slightly different image that shows pipework with steam-powered machinery. I also added in a quote into the second page with the statement “The home of victorian futurism” which I gave a bold font called ‘American Captain’ (pictured) which I got from dafont.com also I made the quotations go above and below the quote making it fit snug with the spacing between the columns.